Monday, May 11, 2015

Book Talk Tuesday

May 12, 2015
Hello Fourth Graders! Today our Book Talk Tuesday features our principal's favorite book.  The book is called Crash by Jerry Spinelli.
crash.jpg

My favorite author growing up was Jerry Spinelli.  He has written many books over the last 30 years and is a Newbery Medalist.  I started reading his books when I was your age.  The first book I read by Spinelli was, Maniac Magee.  It was super popular with my friends, and I continued to read his books into junior high.  

    When I started teaching, I worked with another teacher who used the book, Crash, for read aloud with his class.  I borrowed his copy and fell back in love with Jerry Spinelli books.  I used this book as a read aloud with almost every single class I ever taught as a 5th and 6th grade teacher.  
    Crash, is about a 7th grade football star.  While he is the main character of the story, he is actually considered the story’s villain.  He would definitely be considered a bully.  Throughout the story, he is confronted with a family medical emergency that leads him to question how he treats others.  
What I really love about this book, and all of Spinielli’s books that I have read, is how he is able to create great characters.  It is easy for me to relate his characters to myself or other people I know.  His stories are easy to read, but they really make you think about why people are the way the are.  He also finds very engaging ways to help you gain perspective on the lives of others.
Spinelli is a favorite author of mine because he finds a way to discuss tricky topics like bullying, friends, and poverty in a way that is helpful to readers and very entertaining.  Some of his books, like Fourth Grade Rats, and Report to the Principal’s Office are really funny.  Others like, Stargirl, share great messages like how important it is to be yourself!

Thank you Mr. Fugazzi for sharing!
Be principled. Be caring. Have integrity.
(be good. be nice. behave)

No comments:

Post a Comment