Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Book Talk Wednesday

April 29, 2015

Hello Fourth graders! We have a special book talk today. We are featuring Mrs. Anderson and her book called Flora and Ulysses by Kate Di Camillo.
Image result for Flora and Ulysses is by Kate Di Camillo
 Do you like comic books?  Do you like Superheroes?  Do you like wacky stories?  Yes?!!?!  Then this book is for you! Even if you don’t but you have a sense of humor I say try this one out!!

Flora and Ulysses is by the same author who wrote Despereaux, Because of Winn Dixie, and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.   I love this author because she has great voice. Her words draw me in and I think I am part of the story.

Flora and Ulysses is not like her other books.  This one has some great twists and turns.  It starts with a girl named Flora.  She is a self-described cynic; she is a bit distrustful of her mother and the world.  She reads comic books and her particular favorite is called Terrible Things Can Happen to You!  Flora witnesses a horrible (yet really funny) accident involving a squirrel and a vacuum cleaner. Ulysses the squirrel gains some rather unusual super powers and Flora becomes his sidekick.  After that, strange and wonderful things happen to the odd dynamic duo.  The story is about hope and possibilities. 

The story is also unusual because there are hilarious graphic pictures and illustrations that go with the story.  It is unique and worthy of the 2014 Newberry Award that Kate DiCamillo received. 

My fifth grade daughter Abby and I read this one as a read aloud.  I laughed as hard as she did.  I would definitely recommend to put this book on your summer reading list.

Oh, a bonus prize will be given to the first student in your grade who comes to me and tells me their favorite scene from the book that has the line, “My dear reader.” 

Thank you Mrs. Anderson for sharing your book with us. 

Be principled. Be caring. Have integrity. 
(Be good. Be nice. Behave.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment